SMART SUMMER PROGRAM
The Learning Lab’s SMART Summer Overview
S.M.A.R.T. SUMMER LITERACY PROGRAM
The Learning Lab’s SMART Summer is helpful for students who are:
- At risk for or diagnosed with Dyslexia
- Diagnosed with a Specific Learning Disability (SLD) or a disability is suspected
- Diagnosed with a Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)/Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Significantly struggling with phonemic awareness, phonics and fluency
- Significantly struggling with reading comprehension, working memory and critical thinking
- Significantly struggling with grammar, sentence structure and essay writing
Each child’s SMART Summer protocol is designed to meet their individual learning needs.
All Learning Lab programs are based on best practices and the neuroscience of successful reading acquisition. Some of the programs we use are:
- Barton Reading and Spelling System
- Foundation in Sounds
- Lindamood Bell’s Visualizing and Verbalizing
- Reading Assistant
- Fast ForWord Cognitive Language and Literacy Software
- Wilson Just Words
- IEW writing program
- Lindamood Bell’s Seeing Stars
Daily Schedule Includes :
“The ability to read and learn starts with how the brain perceives and processes sound.”
The Learning Lab’s SMART Summer Program is a six-week intensive program designed for smart students who are a year or more behind in reading and/or writing.
Using S.M.A.R.T. Goals and the F.I.T.T. Principle, one SMART Summer, at The Learning Lab, can change a lifetime!
S.M.A.R.T. GOALS SYSTEM
We use the S.M.A.R.T. Goals System to ensure students’ goals are clear and reachable. This is essential to student performance, executive skills development and reading achievement.
A goal of “being the best reader” or “caught up to grade level” is too broad for specific execution. We create reading goals that are more specific and will ultimately lead to increased reading confidence and capabilities.
We have the metrics that will tell us if students are moving towards their reading goals. Daily measurements allow us to execute immediate interventions and celebrate gains. When students can see a visual representation of their growth, they feel motivated to learn.
Reading goals will be challenging enough to inspire but not so big as to frustrate. Have big dreams for your reader overall, but we set smaller, incremental goals during the S.M.A.R.T. planning process in order to make those dreams a reality.
We make sure your student’s reading goals are personalized and apply only to your student. Each reader’s journey is unique, and so will be their goals.
We use the F.I.T.T. Principle to effect significant change in a concentrated amount of time.
We use the F.I.T.T. Principle to safeguard solid reading progression and rapid improvements. The success of a SMART Summer depends on the four F.I.T.T. factors: frequency, intensity, time and type. For most students, summer is the only time a student can truly get F.I.T.T.!
5 days/week for 6 weeks
Daily 1:1 Intensive, Individualized Instruction
90-hours of language, literacy and learning remediation
Relationship-based, personalized, adaptive and FUN
S.M.A.R.T. Summer Literacy Program Timeline
*All dates for placement screening and enrollment
deadlines have been extended
- Parent phone interview (Approximately 30 minutes)
- Document review (You will be provided a list of required documentation)
- Student interview & benchmark assessments for reading and writing
- Dyslexia Screening at The Learning Lab
- Comprehensive report and protocol recommendations
- Parent follow-up meeting at The Learning Lab or on Zoom
- A second payment of $1,800.00 will be processed on June 1, 2023.
- The Learning Lab’s SMART Summer begins on June 19, 2023.
- The Learning Lab will be closed from July 3rd – July 7th, 2023
- The final payment of $1,800.00 will be processed on July 1, 2023.
- The last day of SMART Summer 2023 is August 4, 2023.